Local History Room
The purpose of the Local History Room is to provide materials that record the history and development of Novi Michigan, greater Oakland County, and surrounding areas as they pertain to Novi’s past boundaries. Michigan materials will be limited to those relating to the formation of Novi’s history.
Historical Glass Etchings
The new Historical Glass Etchings are located in the Local History Room on the 2nd floor of the Library. This display includes 7 beautifully crafted historical landmarks from around Novi. Local artists, Ryan and Mindy Trainer, were responsible for creating these pieces. The etchings represent The Methodist Church (1876), Walled Lake Park (1929), Novi Town Hall (1876), Bassett Home (1845), Novi Special (1941-1965), and the Train Station (1870). This artwork was made possible through the generous support of the Novi Historical Commission.
To view the artwork, please see a Librarian on the 2nd floor of the Library for access to the Local History Room.
Click here to read about the Fuerst family and their farm. This information was researched and designed by Kathleen Mutch, Novi Historical Commission, 1989 - 2009. The Fuerst property was sold to the Novi Community Schools in 1973 by the Fuerst family with the stipulation that the property be used for public purposes. The City of Novi purchased the property in 1997. This property is now an eight acre park adjacent to the Novi Public Library. The park features inviting landscaping with fieldstone walls and hundreds of perennial plants, walkways, a 150-seat amphitheater that incorporates Old Township Hall, and Wi-Fi accessibility. Many programs take place in the park, including puppet shows, musicians, theatrical performance, reading groups, and more.
Novi News Archive
Access searchable full-text issues of the Novi News. This page will ultimately provide access to nearly every year of the Novi News. Please check back for additional issues as they become available. Click here to go to the Novi News Archive page.
The City Charter was originally approved at a special election held on February 18, 1969, shortly after the proposal to incorporate was approved at a special election held on May 20, 1968. The City Charter became effective on February 24, 1969. A Charter revision was approved by the voters on November 8, 1977. The revision did not affect the millage or tax rate, but streamlined City government.
For more information, or questions about the Local History Room, please contact us.