Diversity Equity & Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Novi Public Library
Visit Lakeshore Lending Library, Michigan's FIRST self-service library kiosk, now open for Novi residents to enjoy at Lakeshore Park! Lakeshore Lending Library holds 235 items, including adult best sellers, large print, biographies, picture books, youth, tween and young adult fiction, and DVDs/Blu-rays. Guests can check out up to 5 items per valid Novi library card using the touch screen on the front of the kiosk. We are thrilled to provide easier accessibility to library materials for residents in the North end of Novi! Click here for more information.
INTRODUCING RECITE ME, OUR NEW WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY TOOLBAR
Recite Me is innovative cloud-based software that lets visitors view and use our website in a way that works best for them. We’ve added the Recite Me web accessibility and language toolbar to our website to make it accessible and inclusive for as many people as possible.
It helps one in four people in the US who have a disability, including those with common conditions like sight loss and dyslexia, access our website in the way that suits them best.
It also meets the needs of one in five people in the US who speak a language other than English at home, by translating our web content into over 100 different languages.
Click here for more information
Highlights in 2021-2022
- Installed cultural art display system for future community showcases in October 2021
- Library Board approved a holiday closure for Juneteenth on December 15, 2021 and Library held first annual Juneteenth celebration on June 18, 2022
- Created Family Resource Kits to help families read books and discuss topics like identity & belonging, immigration & refugees, solidarity & activism, and more, in March 2022
- Improved library accessibility with new NPL @ Your Door, materials-by-mail service, launched March 28, 2022
- Library Board approved the continuation of the Fine-Free Policy through June 2023, on April 28, 2022
- Partnered with Dear Asian Youth Novi for cultural programs & displays in May 2022
- Performed collection audit in 2021-2022
- Highlighted diverse materials in monthly book displays in 2021 - 2022
BOARD Statement (approved May 27, 2021)
The Novi Public Library is committing to ensure that every Novi community member, library guest, Board of Trustee member, library staff and volunteer, are treated with dignity and respect. Discrimination, bigotry and racism with will not be tolerated. The Board and staff are dedicated to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in order to create a comfortable, safe and supportive library environment for all.
In September 2020, the NPL Board of Trustees unanimously supported the creation of a standing committee for DEI.
Goals (Approved September 24, 2020)
- Monitor our equity footprint for guest involvement
- Monitor our equity footprint in collections
- Monitor our equity footprint for accountability
- To positively and effectively influence outreach and partnerships pertaining to race relations
- Increase staff and community advocacy, awareness and education of DEI initiatives
- Commit to equal opportunity in employment opportunities and upward mobility for all applicants and employees, including those from historically marginalized populations.
If you would like to connect with the DEI Committee and ask questions or express comments, please email DEInovilibrary@novilibrary.org
. This email is reviewed by members of the committee, therefore a response back may take up to 48 hours. They appreciate your patience as they work to respond in the best way possible.
Upcoming Programs & Events
In the Library
Books & Other Materials
Black-Owned Business Resources